The recent wave of Denver area storms has brought the roofing scammers out.
The Denver Chapter of the Better Business Bureau is warning consumers who were hit by the recent Denver hail storms that Green Start Construction is scamming people needing roof repairs. It has been reported that they have taken payments from more than a dozen home owners, and never begun any work. Currently, the owner Anthony Marquez has not responded to calls or any attempts to speak with him.
In another roofing scam this summer, the Colorado Attorney General has indicted five men for offering homeowners in Arapahoe, Boulder, Delta, Jefferson, Larimer, Mesa, Monroe, and Ouray counties extremely low prices for roofing work, and even beginning work on some homes without permission. Then, they inflated the final price claiming that extra work was needed. One man reportedly paid more than 24,000 for work far below standards.
Please be aware that by Colorado Senate Bill 38, roofing companies can’t pay, waive, or reimburse homeowners for their insurance deductible. Legitimate roofing and construction companies are definitely losing money due to companies operating outside the law, and offering to pay insurance deductibles.
Before you decide to do business with any roofing or construction company consider the following:
- Don’t be rushed into a decision. Say “No Thank You” when pressured by a contractor to sign now in order to get a discount or a deal.
- Learn about the company.
- Ask for referrals from similar jobs.
- Ask how long the company has been operating, and check out their history with the Denver Better Business Bureau and online.
- Insist on getting a few written estimates that describe the work to be done and materials used in detail.
- Make sure the company is bonded and insured.
- Insist on a written contract for everything.
- Never prepay for services.
- If an offer looks to be good to be true like the example above, investigate it thoroughly. It probably is.
If you are having trouble getting information about a company, you can contact the Colorado Secretary of State at (303) 894-2200. CJ Restoration is happy to give you a second opinion, or answer questions about an offer from another company. Feel free to call us (303) 690-9253 with any question about your damaged roof or home.